Thursday, March 19, 2009

Chapter 6: Barefoot By the Beach





Sometime later, '3azl had already fallen asleep. She had a tendency of falling asleep earlier than she wants to. I spent the rest of the night chatting with Ya3goub on msn. This guy is so respectful. I feel so comfortable talking to him for hours and hours. We have gotten really close in the past year or so. You know how people say that a girl and a guy can't JUST be best friends? And that it almost always turns into something much deeper than friendship? Well, I completely disagree. I consider Ya3goub my second best friend. I love him to death that I just feel like hugging him sometimes. And I don’t feel ashamed of saying this because I sincerely consider him my brother, which actually IS much deeper than friendship.
His father has actually known my dad for almost a decade, because of their field of work. We have gone out together several times with our families. My mom and dad adore him, w dayman ywa9wna 3alay. He is doing a great job taking care of me. He helps me out a lot! I'm the kind of person that just attracts bad situations. I always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Take today's parking incident as an example. At the time laman ilkil kan hab b Twilight, he used to say : "I'm Edward and you're my Bella". He is so protective of me. One time my car just stopped in the middle of the road. I had no idea why?! I didn’t want to call my parents because I was supposed to be biljam3a 7azat'ha. But I had a shirt on hold at Chloe so I just had to go get it! Anyways, so I ended up calling him and he immediately came to the rescue. It turned out that my car was out of gas! I have a habit of forgetting that a car needs fuel, and so ever since, Ya3goub reminds me every week or so. Another thing is that I tend to get lost, a lot. So I call him to ydaleenee. Mashalla 3alaih he knows all the street names, every turn, every traffic light, every ma6aba! He always stays on the phone with me until I reach the destination that I had originally intended to get to. Il9ara7a madri shlon kint 3aysha min'3aira!
I started to feel a bit drowsy. I looked at the time, it was almost 2am.
7ala: I'm starting to get sleepy
Ya3goub: laa tawinaas
7ala: banaaaaam
Ya3goub: fine, yal 5ayna! Good night!
7ala: hehehe, talk to you bacher. Goodnight!
So I signed out of msn, logged out FB, changed into my PJs and tucked myself into bed next to '3azl.


It was Saturday morning. Last day of the weekend, we start dawamat again bacher. '3azl and I woke up to the sound of Beth screaming at us to get up. '3azl dragged me out of bed. We washed up and put on our tracksuits and went downstairs. Breakfast was on the table out in the garden, and it all looked so delicious.
'3azl: iljaw 3ajeeb. Yabeela nrw7 namshi 3al ba7ar (she said with her mouth full)
7ala: ee 7adda. After breakfast, lets go.
And so we did. Ri7na tmashaina min Marina Crescent to the Scientific Center. We had planned to walk back to Marina Crescent but we got too tired. So '3azl called her driver to come and get us. He dropped us back to Marina Crescent so '3azl would get her car.
At '3azl's house, we took a shower, changed w raya7na shwey. Then it was time for lunch. We sat around the dining table, with her mom, dad and siblings. I love their home made Machbous! During lunch, we had the same conversation that we have every time I sleep over at her house. Her mom would ask: shlon ildirasa. And form there we would talk about jam3a, the professors we liked and the ones we didn’t, the hard subject and the easy ones, everything. After a while, we would get up, say thanks and go upstairs to '3azl's room to study. It was the same thing everytime! It felt like déjà vu.
We studied till around 7pm, then my phone rang. It was my mom.
Mom: hi 7ala, wainch?
7ala: 3ind '3azl mama, we're studying shwey.
Mom: ee zain tsawonon. Mita bitredeen il bait?
7ala: madri mama. Lesh?
Mom: intaw matishbe3wn min ba3ath (she teased) la bes as2al. ok mama lati2a5erain.
7ala: inshalla mama. Byee
We continued studying for about an hour then just got bored.
7ala: '3azl, wa9lini baitna. I don’t want to be too late.
'3azl: ee ok no problem.
We reached baitna, and as I was opening the car door to leave, '3azl said: "see you tomorrow. Kalmini itha 9ar shay" (she winked at me w I knew exactly what she meant)
Salamt 3ala ommi, w I played Barbies with Shams for a while. Then I decided to go to sleep, I was kind of tired from the walk this morning. I lay in bed with the laptop on my tummy. I logged into FB. I checked the notifications and everything. Suddenly I heard the "plop" sound of FB chat. It was Jara7. I hadn’t noticed he was online!
Jara7: hala 7ala. Nawar my FB! Shlonch?
7ala: hi. Tamam, u?
Jara7: dom inshalla. Ana il7emidella, zain.
What was I supposed to say now? God I'm so bad at this. I just waited for him to say something else.
Jara7: mash'3oola?
7ala: la I'm not doing anything. Bes il9ara7a I don’t know what to talk to you about.
Jara7: ahaaa..ok, well what do friends normally talk about?
7ala: madri, everything..
Jara7: ok, so, how was your weekend? How about that ;p
7ala: it was great. How was yours.
Jara7: the usual , dirasa, nadi, movies, diwaniya..etc
7ala: I see
Jara7: don’t you want to know ay nadi, w shinw al3ab?
7ala: hehehe sorry, ay nadi? W shinw til3ab? ;p (I was getting better at this)
Jara7: nadi ilKwait. I play handball.
7ala: sounds nice.
Jara7: you're not that into sports are you? ;p
7ala: il9ara7a la2 hehehe.
Jara7: so what are you into?
7ala: madri, I like reading, shopping, hanging out with my friends. chithi ashya2.
Jara7: ye3ni b5ti9ar, you like to read fashion magazines, so you know what to shop for the next time you go out to the mall with your friends? ;p
7ala: ammmm nooo.. I like reading books. Actual books. I don’t read magazines, I just flip through them and see the photos. And yes that does help me to shop with my friends! (I was kind of offended. I didn’t like the fact that he thought of me as THAT kind of girl)
Jara7: thayagtch?
7ala: la, bes atwa8a3 inna you have the wrong idea about me. Tara I'm not some kind of shallow, materialistic bimbo!
Jara7: ana makan 8a9di chithi. W asef itha thayagtch.
7ala: I know, its fine. I just want to make that clear to you.
Jara7: ee fahamt. Bes please stop doing this to me!
7ala: huh..doing what to you?! (what the hell was wrong with him?!)
Jara7: the first time I saw you, I wanted u. I asked my friend to talk to you, you said mu no3ch chithi. I help you out with the parking incident, you act like you don’t know me, I give a stereotype description of you, sakatini w fahamtini intay shinw.
7ala: your point is? (did he change his mind about me? Does he think I'm not worth all the rejections)
Jara7: the point is, every incident with you, tikbereen b3aini akthar w akthar. 7ala, inshalla mara7 a5ayeb thnch feeni, and you will find inna I'm worthy to be with you.
I didn’t know what to saaaay? I started typing: mashk,, then erased, then I started typing that’s so sw.. then I erased. Ambaay shagwl?
Jara7: 7ala?
7ala: yes?
Jara7: its ok you don’t have to say anything. I have enjoyed this talk with you. Ra7 a5elch al7een, w akalmch bacher inshalla.
7ala: ee inshala.
Jara7: ma3a ilsalama. Take care.
7ala: you too. Bye.
Jara7: ihda2---> http://www.6arab.net/ViewSong/207775.html (as soon as I clicked on the link, he was offline)
I waited for the song to load. A couple of minutes later it was done. It was the sweet sound of Majeed singing:
" kil ma3adait asbab 7uby lek.. a'3l6 fee il3adad..w a3d mn thani..i5tark ilzain mn bain kl jeelk..wi7tar wsh yo9f mn wa9fk lsani."
Sooooo sweeeeet!!
I immediately called '3azl and I told her about every single detail of the conversation. I read it out as it is, every word, every letter, and every dot.
'3azl: 7ala, bas2ilch su2al, and you have to promise inna ra7 itjawbeeny b9ara7a.
7ala: '3azl.. YES. I do think I'm starting to like him (I knew what she was going to ask, so I just answered)
'3azl: I'm glad about that li2anna il9ara7a me too. Ye3ni mu2adab. W laman tkalmini 3anna arta7la.
7ala: omG '3azl, you're right. Ye3ni there is nothing wrong with him. Kilsh, I cant think of anyting that I don’t like about him. Obviously I still need to get to know him better. Bes u know what I was thinking?
'3azl: shinw?
7ala: you know how ya3goub is protective of me?
'3azl: Yaaaa! OVERprotective!
7ala: e that's my point exactly. Ye3ni if Jara7 was a bad guy, there's no way inna Ya3goub would have told me about him.
'3azl: ee good point
7ala: hmmm..
'3azl: hehehe,, ok,, am gona go now and leave you to dream about Jara7.
7ala: heyy!!
'3azl: heheh byeee
'3azl was right. That I night I did dream of Jara7. I dreamt of us walking barefoot together by the beach at sunset. We walked and talked for hours and hours. The beach side seemed to go on on like there was no end. It felt like we were the only two people that existed. I didn’t want this dream to end. But then suddenly, my 6:45 am alarm went off!! Uuggghhhh.. nooo.
And so the week begins again.

No comments:

Post a Comment