Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chapter 2: This Is The Life I, 7ala, Live (Part II)




Time passes so slow during lectures. My focus span is an average of 20minutes per lecture. On a good day I can focus for up to half an hour. But, if I get no morning coffee, I'm lucky if I can even keep my eyes open.
Finally, lectures for today are over! '3azl and I walk to our cars together. Actually we walk to her car together. We have a habit of dropping each other off to our cars. Ye3ni mathalan, ilyom '3azl's car is closer to the university building, so she drives me to my car which is further away. Its not because we're lazy, its because we are fathyeeeen. She stops right next to my car.
7ala: garbay akthar, mali5ilg amshi (I joke).
We giggle, ofcorse. I get out of her car and get into mine. I start the engine, read the du3a2, choose a song, connect my iPod, reverse the car and suddenly I slam on the breaks!! I forgot to put on my seat belt . So I do that, then I continue to drive out of the parking lot. Seat belts are a big deal to me. Ma7ad yirkab sayarti if they don’t put on their seat belt, it's my golden rule. Ilmohim, I notice a golden cayenne in the lot. Could it be the same car as this afternoon? La mu ma38ula, w a9lan fee wayed cayennes in kwaiti streets. Plus, it could be a completely different one, bes ana il9ara7a ma afham b hal suwalef.. cayenne S,.. w GTS and LMNOP, DNG and madri shinw ;p. Ilmohim, I let it go and I continue driving back home. Awal ma dashait ilbait, my little sister, Shams, runs up to me and hugs me! I love her soo much 7abibti. She's such a hyper kid. She makes me smile even when I'm in the worst mood ever! A7bch Sis . I say hi to my mom, then I go into my room to change and pray. By the time I'm done, I come out to the 9ala again, and I find my dad, mom and Shams sitting around our dining table having lunch. I went to greet my dad.
7ala: hi baba.. shlonk ( I kiss him on the cheek)
Dad: il7emdilla 7alati ( I love it when he calls me that ) intay shlonch? Shlon il dawam ilyom?
I sit down at the table with them.
7ala: it was good, the usual. Nothing that interesting.
Dad: makw shay interesting ? no mashra7a ilyom? ( In medicine, we get a class on the human body anatomy and the teachers use actual human bodies to show us all the body parts and organs, obviously. After my first mashra7a class last year, I was soo excited to get back home and tell my parents about it. I love chithi suwalf! Bes I hate the smell of the bodies! When I was telling my dad about it, he was so surprised that I didn’t just run out. Apparently he thought inna ana no3i dalw3a w a5aaf ;p and he was so amused that the only thing that bothered me was only the smell and not the site of the bodies ! So ever since that day, he constantly teases me about mashra7a)
7ala: la baba! No mashra7a today, bes we did have a long break so we went out for lunch.
Dad: ahaa achoofch mu ga3da takleen! (if I wasn’t so full I would be eating lunch again, I love my mom's food)
Lunch time was the only quality time I get to spend with my dad. So, I make sure that I'm always home for that meal.
Dad: il7emdilla rab il3alameen. Tislam eedch om 7ala
Mom: alla ysalmk. Bl 3afya.
My dad got up and went for his afternoon nap and I went into my room, switched on my laptop, and ofcorse, typed inà www.facebook.com , I was so addicted. I checked out all the interesting notifications, ignored a couple of random friend requests, and then decided to change my status: Hala is soo full, nice lunch outing girls, had fun ;*. Next, I signed in on msn, '3azl was online.
'3azl: heyy
7ala: hii
'3azl: so mita bitredeen ilkoleya? ( we usually return to the university in the evenings to "study" in the library, because if we stay home then it's all phone calls, msn, FB, tv, and no studying. At least blkoleya we read a couple of chapters)
7ala: madri in 2hrs?
'3azl: ee ok, shinw " bnadres"?
7ala: lets try to study some biology.
'3azl: ok, btw, hear this song :ma m3akum-rashed, I ll send it 2 u al7een am listening to it now.. 8adeema bes 7ady m3alga 3alaihaaa..
(Ma m3akum 5abar zain ya raswl el salama.. la t5ayeb thnwny… bas2alak 3an el b7rain, kaif ahl el Manama.. 3adhum yathkrownee)
And our conversation continued with the usual suwalf, until an hour and half later '3azl reminded me to get ready. I prayed, then put on my maroon velour juicy tracksuit, white shirt from under, golden zara flats, dad's rolex , white shaila with golden strass lining, same bag. I applied mascara, and put on my cherry lip balm. Half an hour later we were both in the library, highlighting every single word in our notes using different colored highlighters for each line. I seriously don’t get why everybody in 6eb does that?
'3azl: it9adgeen, I think inna we medical students think that by highlighting everything, the information passes through the highlighter, to our hand, across our arm, past our shoulder and neck and into our brain ( she read my mind! She unconsciously answered the question I had in mind a moment ago. This is what I meant by our minds being freakishly connected! )
We giggled quietly, trying not to disturb the others in the library. It's funny how our campus is always filled with people, whether it's 9 am, or 9 pm! Everybody is always here. But nobody really complains because it's like our second home, so cosy (not really). We all know each other, if not by name then by shakl. Nobody is a stranger. After a while, we decided to take a break. Our definition of break is: anywhere barra ilkoleya. So, we went to the nearby Fudz in jabriya to get a dozen of their delicious cookies. We headed back to college to enjoy our cookies and talks! Half an hour later, we decide to go back to studying. After a while, I started to asra7. I began watching others faces, some concentrating, some learning, some cluelessly staring at the book infront of them, and others that are also sar7aneen and staring at me while I stare at others. I need do focus! Soon, '3azl and I both got tired, enough studying for today. We leave the library, and this time I dropped her off to her car li2anna mine was closer. We said our goodnights and headed back home.
This time of the day, baitna ikwn hadi. Shams is sleeping, ommi bil mamsha, ubuy bldiwaniya, w il5adam madri 3anhum. I go shower, change into my PJs and put on my socks. Before going to bed, I called my mom.
7ala: mama, I'm home
Mom: ha darastaw?
7ala: ee mama. Ok ana banam now, goodnight.
Mom: good night.
Then I msg my dad, cuz I know he's too busy to talk.
7ala: t9ba7 3ala 5air baba ;*
I don’t wait for him to reply,cuz he never does anyway, bes I know he reads my msgs. So, I just head to Sham's room, I slowly kiss her chubby cheeks and whisper goodnight in her ear. I go back to my room, and I check my FB for the last time ilyom. When I finished with the notifications, I noticed I had a message in my inbox. I didn't know the sender, the name wasn’t familiar. The message said "Tara ana min 9iji… I'm not just fooling around." Shinw ye3ni?.. I had no idea what that meant. Ilmohim, the person must be mistaken, so I just deleted the message, logged off and lay in bed.
No matter how tired I ever am, I can never fall asleep immediately. So, as usual, I fidget in bed for God knows how long as I rewind the day's events in my mind. Great morning weather- sunny with cool breeze, fun outing with the girls- delicious food, guy in Porsche- really cute bes so what ye3ni, nice conversation with dad, studied well, relaxing shower- my hair smells like coconuts, I'm so tired..Banaaam..At some point, I lose consciousness and fall asleep.
This is a typical day in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment