Friday, March 13, 2009

Chapter 3: Aammmm… thanks but no thanks!




I wake up this morning feeling energetic. It's one of these mornings when I can probably survive with no coffee, bes I don't risk it. Why? It's a Thursday. Which means weekend! I get out of bed, wash up, and get dressed. Libast yesterday's jeans, a loose pink H&M shirt, with some ruffles at the front, grey Marc Jacobs ballerinas, the usual bag, and a grey shaila with silver strass lining. I chose my D&G crystal filled watch only as an accessory. I think it's sparkly and shiny enough, fa mala da3i more accessories. Well, maybe just a simple Swarovski bracelet on the other hand will be ok. Ready. I go through my usual morning routine, check the newspapers, login on FB, change my status to : Hala is WEEKEND <3, logout of FB and then leave.
A while later, I arrive at the koleya, and I see '3azl standing with a group of our close girlfriends. I approach them with a smile. There's nothing better than a group of friends that you trust , rely on, and just simply enjoy spending time with.
7ala: hi banat, shlonkum?
They all reply with the usual answer.. tamaam intay shlonch etc etc..
7ala: sooo.. shinw our plans this weekend?
A girl suggested lunch at sliders, another suggested a movie w wa7da tabi dinner at Maki. ( '3azl and I looove Japanese restaurants <3 )
'3azl: 5ala9 after dawam, nrid ilbait w nrayi7 and change our clothes. 3ugub we meet up for a movie then 3asha at Maki. W bacher we can meet up for lunch at sliders, ilyom adg w a7jz. Everyone happy?!
I just love weekends. They mean freedom, 7attan law temporary, bes still freedom. No dirasa, no 6 am alarms, no boring lectures. Just outings, tv, reading, and my favorite part, sleepover's with '3azl!
The girls continued chatting, and laughing while they headed off to the lecture. I was walking with them to class when a group of guys, which me and '3azl had gotten close with, started walking towards us. I instantly thought they were coming to say hi, ye3ni their usual morning greeting. And they did. While they continued talking, wa7ed minhum, Ya3goub, asked if he could talk to me.
7ala: ya sure, amer
Ya3goub: ma yamer 3alaich 3adw, bes I need to talk to you about something.
7ala: sure go ahead.
Ya3goub: alone? Plz..
I looked at '3azl who was chatting along with the guys about a professor that we all hate. And she was complaining about him having a weird accent, and that nobody ever understood his lectures. She made a perfect impersonation of him!
7ala: ammm ya sure, is everything ok?
Ya3goub: ee bes ta3alay ma3ay shwey.
I followed him out of the noisy lobby and into a quiet corridor where we could talk more freely.
Ya3goub: 7ala bagwlch shay bes plz latifhemeene '3ala6. I have nothing to do with this, I'm just getting the message to you. Ye3ni ma3ala ilrasool illa albala'3.
7ala: tara ur scaring me, so please just say what you want or "have" to say 3ala goltk
Ya3goub: ams wa7ed min ilrabe3 yani. Wa7ed a3arfa min ayam ilthanawiya. W sa2alni 3anch. Well not 3anch, 3an sayaratch!
7ala: huh?..mafahamt..
Ya3goub: madri itha tadreen, bes hatha rfeeji chayfch b sayartch with '3azl, w apparently la7agkum until il koleya. W li2anna y3arf nas min ilkoleya, ye3ni ana mathalan, fa yani w sa2alni minw 3indikum tsoog LR3 soda? W 6ab3an makw bnaya bilkoleya tsoog hal sayara '3airch. Tara I seriously don’t get why you drive it asasan?! Yom min il ayam, ana bawadeech b nafsi to choose a proper car that matches your size, it's too big for you! (he teased)
7ala: heeey, bala 6naza! I like it kaify. And by the way, int min 9ijik willa tistahbil, tara I'm not in the mood for one of your pranks.
We were close enough with this group of guys, that we just loved pranking each other. One time, '3azl and I were passing notes to Ya3goub during a lecture, and he would reply back to us. When I unfolded one of the notes he sent us, I saw a cockroach da5l! w thank God inni ma9ara5t. BUT, min il5ar3a, 7ithaft ilmobile min edee and it hit a guys head infront of me! OmG, I was so embarrassed! 7aram, the guy simply got my phone min il arth and gave it back to me. I was soo embarrassed that I was speechless. I couldn't even say sorry to him. O and btw, it was a RUBBER cockroach! Anyways, we never think of any of the guys b Ya3boub's group as anything more than friends, ye3ni they're like our brothers, so there is no awkwardness between us.
Ya3goub: 7ala min 9iji shfeech! Ilmohim, ana 6ab3an majawabta 3ala6ool illa laman fahamt minna isalfa. Tara he's serious, yabeech.
7ala: Ya3goub, are you serious? You know me! I cant believe you're even asking me!
Ya3goub: 7ala! Tara mithil ma intay wayed '3alya 3alay w I consider you as my sister, tara ohwa ba3ad my friend, w he wanted me to tell you, which I did. W bes!
7ala: ye3ni shlon al7een. You give him my number, w nkalm ba3ath b an9a9 il layali, then we fall in love, w get married and have babies. Ya3goub, plz, can you take care of this for me. Just tell him inna ana mu no3i chithi.
Ya3goub: ok fine,, wala yhimich ana akalma 5ala9.
'3azl: 7alaa?! Intay wain faj2a you disappeared?
7ala: I was just talking to Ya3goub. Yalla lets go to class.
So I smiled to him, w turned away. Then I remembered.
7ala: agool, Ya3goub. Does this friend of yours by any chance drive a Golden Cayenne?
Ya3goub: actually e! ye3ni you noticed him following? Latgwlynly athakum?!
7ala: ee we noticed inna he followed! Ye3ni it's not like he was trying to hide it, kan ilwath3 7adda ashkara! W ee athana, ye3ni shinw hal 7arakat, it's not like we were 3al 7ob and wanting to be followed ! He followed us back to the koleya for God's sake.. seriously? Ilmohim, int kalma w don’t mention ilsalfa again ok? plz
Ya3goub: Inshala I will. W lat7ateen, tara il salfa mu 8a9ib.
I turned away again, w immediately '3azl asked me what was going on? W I explained everything that Ya3goub had told me about Mr.Golden Cayenne and what I had told Ya3goub. I was feeling a bit worried, w I hoped that it will just end at that and that he will just find another girl to hit on, inshala. '3azl calmed me down, and told me it wasn't a big deal, ye3ni it’s just the way kwaiti guys are. Some, not all she insisted.
'3azl: 7asafa 3ad he's cute, chan you used him for a while, it would have been so nice to refer to a hot guy as your "boyfriend" (she joked)
We laughed. She always knew how to bring my mood back to normal. I thank God everyday that I have her. We entered the class, sat down at the back. '3azl was looking for her iPod in her bag bes she couldn’t find it.
'3azl: I must have forgotten it at home. 6al3ay iPodch.
So we listened to my iPod together, we shared the headphones. I used one ear plug, she used the other. We listened to Rashed's melodic voice singing "illi liga a7babaaa nsa a97abaa..ya dinya ya '3araba, ya dinya ya '3rabaaa, yadri fee 3ainni dara w migdara lakn 6reega 5tara, lakn 6reega 5tara…."
'3azl: yawailch if I ever had to apply this song to us, fahma!! (she joked)
I couldn’t wait for dawam to end; this was going to be a great weekend, I could just feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment